Support the Consortium
Contributions from donors and supporters like you continue to allow us to:
- Support marine and coastal research (including social science) directed towards promoting healthy coastal ecosystems, sustainable fisheries/aquaculture, resilience communities/economies, and environmental literacy/workforce development throughout coastal New Jersey.
– Current research project partnerships include “Enhancing Bivalve Aquaculture” (Rutgers), “Managing for Biodiversity in the Face of Sea-Level Rise” (Montclair), “Quantifying Effects of a Changing Climate on Summer Flounder” (Rutgers), etc.
- Uphold a standard of excellence. NJSGC was recently recognized by the National Sea Grant College Program with two “Best Practices,” our comprehensive Dune Manual and Scouts Program.
- Promote major public outreach events, including Ocean Fun Days, State of the Shore, and NJSGC’s “Favorite Beaches” poll.
- Initiate studies to improve storm warning messaging and increase public likelihood to heed those messages.
– NJSGC helped launch Monmouth County’s “High Water Mark Initiative” as part of a national collaboration with the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP).
- Integrate sustainability, resilience, and storm preparedness topics into our teacher training activities so that New Jersey’s educators can pass along these important messages to their students.
– Members of NJSGC’s education staff regularly attend and present at science teach conventions throughout the state.
- Provide direct instruction to nearly 35,000 citizens, including 20,000 schoolchildren, on a broad range of environmental topics through our coastal education programs.
– NJSGC’s Rip Current Awareness Program popularized the interactive beach ocean hazards and beach safety game, “Rip Currents vs. Sharks.”