Barrier Beach Dynamics
This full-day program is appropriate for grades 4 through 12. By participating in hands-on activities in NJSGC’s classroom and at the beach., students will gain an in-depth understanding of beaches and the processes that influence them.
Through discussion and instruction your NJSGC Instructor will cover the following key concepts of this program:
- Coastal processes (winds, waves, currents and tides)
- Origins of sand and its movement
- Beach zonation and the importance of dunes
- Identification, succession and importance of plant life on the barrier beach
- Coastal erosion
- Marine debris – origins and impacts
- Marine species of the barrier beach
At the Beach
- Shell collecting and identification
- Beach hike to observe a natural beach, bird nesting area, and the NY/NJ shipping channel
- Sand sampling
- Beach profiling
- Beach zonation sand sampling
- Longshore current measurement
- Wave analysis
- Optional marine debris investigation (“mini-beach clean-up”)
At the Classroom
Students will participate in the following laboratory activities in NJSGC’s Building #22 classroom:
- Sand investigation (sand sampling, grain size and shape analysis, comparisons, etc.)
- Modeling beach erosion
- Species identification using taxonomic keys
- Marine debris analysis
- Beach profile graphing
- Importance of dunes
Beach Profile Graphing Template
This excel workbook supplements the beach profiling activity included in NJSGC’s Barrier Beach Dynamics field trip program: Beach Profile Calculator (.xls)
This program supports:
Next Generation Science Standards
Grades 3 through 5 PE:3-LS2-1, 3-LS3-2, 3-LS4-3, 3-ESS3-1, 4-ESS2-1, 4-ESS2-2, 4-ESS3-2, 5-ESS2-1, 5-ESS3-1. DCI:ESS2.A, ESS2.C, ESS2.E, ESS3.B, ESS3.C, LS1.A, LS1.C, LS2.B, PS3.A.
Middle School PE:MS-LS2-4, MS-LS2-5, MS-ESS2-2, MS-ESS3-1, MS-ESS3-3. DCI: ESS2.C, ESS3.A, ESS3.C, ESS3.D, LS2.A, LS4.C,
High School PE: HS-ESS2-5, HS-LS2-6, HS- LS2-8. DCI:LS4.C and D, ESS2.A, ESS2.C, ESS3.A, ESS3
Program limited to twenty-five (25) students per group. Limit of five (5) group per day.
Fee: $325.00 per group.
Click here to fill out our field trip reservation form, or contact the Education Department at 732-872-1300, x.13.